Re: [hatari-devel] SDL1 vs. SDL2 sound pausing

Le 10/09/2016 à 22:19, David Savinkoff a écrit :

I think we should not make big changes because Hatari has worked
well for a long time. Note that this problem is an Apple(tm) glitch.
I think that adding an improvement to the old code is better than
staring over with a new concept.

I wouldn't call replacing the sound duplication by some 0 bytes a big change or a new concept, impacts are minimal.

When Hatari is duplicating sound samples, it means the host pc is not fast enough ; are there really many people today with some PC not fast enough to run Hatari in ST/STE mode ? (not counting Falcon mode as cpu+dsp emulation requires really a lot more cpu)

IMO, this sound duplication is confusing from a code-wise logic, and it prooved to be wrong as we discovered that it was the cause of the sound problem under OSX. I think that setting Buffer to '0' when not enough bytes are received solves all the cases.

I'd rather have some '0' bytes that give an audible click when things are not fast enough (at least the user know something not correct is happening) than some date duplication that might give a distorted / strange sound instea (where the user might just think our emulation is not correct, while in fact it's a cpu problem)