[hatari-devel] WinUAE CPU as default for all modes (was STF/STE using WinUAE CPU in prefetch mode -> CE mode available)

Le 29/10/2015 00:38, Nicolas Pomarède a écrit :
Once there's enough positive feedback, old uae cpu core will be
deprecated (but not removed) and won't be used as the default CPU
anymore. This will allow us to ship only one binary for STF/STE and
Falcon/TT.

Hi

from the my own tests and those made by other people here, it seems there's no visible regression in Hatari when using WinUAE's CE mode when compared to the "more compatible" mode in old UAE CPU.

This means WinUAE CPU core gives for 68000 :
 - similar result to old uae core when not using "more compatible" mode
 - similar result to old uae core when using "more compatible" mode
- new "cycle exact" mode that allows to remove a lot of special cases that were previously included in "more compatible" mode (prefetch, instruction pairing and cycles rounding, extra wait state for memory, "complex" stack frame for bus error/address error, ...)

And still the previous features for 68020+ :
 - 68020/30/40/60 cpu, including CE mode for 68020/30
 - data/instruction caches
 - MMU
 - 24/32 bit support, allowing extra TT RAM

Some code specific to Atari (IACK sequences for interrupts or some specific wait states for hardware registers) was also cleaned and rewritten in a more "logical" way (ie closer to how the real HW also does it)

Based on this, I think it's now safe to use WinUAE CPU as the default CPU core for STF/STE mode too. For next release, this will allow us to ship only 1 binary that handles both STF/STE and TT/Falcon modes.

When running "./configure" we now use WinUAE CPU. In case you still want to compile old CPU, use "--enable-old-uae-cpu".

Some demos/games are still not correct with WinUAE CPU, but that's due to some specific timings for interrupts or memory access that must be measured, at least we should now have a more accurate base that matches the Motorola docs.

So, good bye UAE CPU core, you served us well, but now it's time to retire :)