Re: [hatari-devel] Hard disk emulation (device files) issues

perjantai 30 lokakuu 2015 23:45:51 Uwe Seimet kirjoitti:
> When using the device file of a 2.9 TeraByte drive as a hard disk image
> for Hatari on Linux I noticed two problems:
>
> 1. The ACSI emulation only reports a capacity of 1565565872 sectors (782
> GB) for this drive, and higher sector numbers are indeed not accessible.
> 2. The IDE emulation does not seem to support more than 2^28 sectors,
> even though the sources seem to indicate that 2^48 sectors (LBA48) should
> be possible.
>
> I'm not sure whether I am going to investigate this, but in any case I
> would like to know whether there are any known limits or problems with
> device files. Does anybody know?

Thomas is the person who added ACSI & IDE support (latter is from Qemu),
so he's the best person to answer.

But I don't think anybody's really used Hatari's ACSI and IDE emulation
that much.  Main use-cases for them have been quick testing with MiNT
(e.g. for MMU emulation compatibility), some direct-HD replay SW and
of course checking whether different HD drivers work, but that's all.

If you have time to look at ASCI/IDE emulation at some point, or even
consider taking over their maintenance, I think that would be great!

You're best qualified for that, and I guess you even have some
real HW against which to check the behavior. :-)

> By the way, with the SCSI Driver, i.e. without using the IDE/ACSI
> emulation layer, I can access the same drive with its full capacity ;-).

Sounds great! :)