Re: [hatari-devel] Re: Profiler - long history

Le 18/05/2015 20:33, Eero Tamminen a écrit :

Could you add that before next release, so that we don't regress?

yes, I will do it, should be quick.

but this would need to be improved anyway, because this code
only counted instruction cache misses, but not data cache misses.

Yes, that data cache misses would be good to have also.
This will require some changes both to Hatari and profiler
data post-processing tools.

Btw. I thought old WinUAE core supported only icache, and only
the new one supports data cache?  If I remember correctly, Douglas
had mentioned that the old icache misses weren't accurate, real
machine cached few instructions more (or less) than what Hatari
claimed.

It depends on the cpu. 68020 only has one cache for instructions. 68030 and 68040 have 2 caches, one for instructions and one for data.

I don't know if new winuae version is more accurate regarding number of cache hits/misses (I guess it is), but maybe doug will be able to check again and tell if there's some differences with real HW.