Re: [hatari-devel] Feedback SDL2 support

> I doubt
> that anybody is still using 256 color displays today (if not, please
> speak up).

No idea wether anybody uses that, but SDL 1.x supports running in a console framebuffer. If that is a vesafb, it will most likely only support 256 colors.

> Might be a little less efficient, but that's not even sure if the video
>card driver has some accelerated function to do this.

If the video card can only display 256 colors, it is very unlikely that is has hardware support for conversion to/from truecolor ;)

Nicolas Pomarède <npomarede@xxxxxxxxxxxx> schrieb am 14:47 Donnerstag, 14.Mai 2015:

Le 14/05/2015 11:39, Thomas Huth a écrit :
> Speaking of this, I plan to remove for example at least some of the
> 8-bit host screen rendering routines after the next release - I doubt
> that anybody is still using 256 color displays today (if not, please
> speak up).

+1

I also think this adds more code to maintain for very little use I guess
(and planar/chunky conversion routines are a real headache :) )

But maybe we could also remove 16 bit output too and keep only 24 bit
full RGB ? I doubt many devices are not capale of 256 colors abd only
capable of 65536 colors.

And in all cases, shouldn't SDL handle the conversion itself if Hatari
outputs a 24 bit RGB image and the display device is only 8 or 16 bit ?