Re: [hatari-devel] Attaching an ACSI harddisk: 3 x Why

Am Thu, 12 Mar 2015 00:09:18 +0200

> Hi,
>
> On keskiviikko 11 maaliskuu 2015, perot@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> > I'm wondering why Hatari should require a reboot if a harddisk
> > image is attached? It does not (of course) if a floppy image is
> > attached. So why with a harddisk? With real hardware, you could
> > have switched on your (for instance) Mega ST, and switch on the
> > (for instance) SH205, since it's a separate unit, only after the
> > Mega ST has come up with the desktop.
> >
> > I have been coding software, including hardware emulators, for over
> > 30 years, but cannot imagine any solid reason for this restriction.
>
> None of the Hatari developers or users has been interested enough
> to add support for that.  Contributions from interested people are
> are welcome.  There are some other less often used ACSI/IDE fatures
> which emulation is missing.

.... and as far as I know, the original ACSI bus was also not
"officially" hot-pluggable.
If that worked for you, Peter, that's fine, but I think you could also
have easily destroyed your hardware that way.

> > I thought of a second way. I could have run the offending image as
> > the second harddisk, as on the ACSI bus harddisk units can be
> > daisy-chained. I do have an image of another harddisk that boots
> > just fine in Hatari. Woefully, Hatari only supports one ACSI
> > harddisk image. Why is that??
>
> AFAIK nobody's needed that before.

Actually, there is even experimental support for multiple ACSI hard
disk images in the Hatari source code. It's just not configurable in
the GUI yet. But you can add a second ACSI disk in the configuration
file, section "[ACSI]" - but please note that this feature is not very
well tested yet.