Re: [hatari-devel] Character conversion for filenames in GEMDOS HD emulation

On torstai 17 heinäkuu 2014, Max Böhm wrote:
> > At run-time iconv() is nicer alternative, it's already part
> > of glibc, so it doesn't add library dependency, and API looks
> > much nicer.  You give from/to encodings to iconv_open() and
> > the input & output buffers to iconv() calls.
> >
> > The issue with iconv() is that at least quick listing of
> > encodings it supports didn't seeme to have an Atari coding,
> > hopefully I'm wrong.  And I'm not sure what one would use
> > on Windows.
>
> I'll have a look at iconv and will see if I can use it under Linux when
> host locales different to utf-8 are required. Is iconv always available
> on all Hatari platforms?

Iconv is integral part of Glibc C-library, so it's available on
all Linux Desktop platforms.  Even uClibc library for embedded usage
supports iconv (but it might not be built in).  BSD seems to have
have iconv too:
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en/books/porters-handbook/using-iconv.html

Android version of Linux doesn't have iconv by default, anybody
doing Hatari port to Android would need to include iconv with
Hatari, but I think there UTF-8 should be enough.

I think OSX includes also iconv, but it would be nice if somebody
could confirm this...