Re: [hatari-devel] HD drive & partition limits (was: ACSI hard drive emulation)

On tiistai 24 kesäkuu 2014, Adam Klobukowski wrote:

> > > 8GB and 4GB under Linux x64.
> >
> > Ok, so you likely do not have a problem with a 32-bit host (HD images
> > could be limited to 2 or 4 GB there).

According to HD driver FAQ:
        http://hddriver.seimet.de/en/faq.html

ST/STE HW limit is 1GB:
"With the ACSI bus of the ST/STE mass storage devices with a capacity > 1
GiB can only be used with their full capacity with suitable host adapters or
memory card adapters."

I hoped  Hatari already emulates those 'suitable' host adapters.

> I think I tried 1GB too.

What sized partitions you used?

256MB

Partition max size limits are following for different TOS versions:
- TOS >= 4.x: 1024MB
- TOS >=1.04:  512MB
- older TOS:   256MB

Did you make *really* sure that partition content was using
correct FAT16 format?  Note also that some TOS versions corrupt
data on drives with VFAT directory entries.

MiNT & MagiC support FAT32 & ext2 partitions which don't have
these limits, but you need to boot them from smaller FAT16
partition on C:.

I ws not even close to trying to use VFAT. Usually everything got corrupted after I wrote first files on partition.

> > > Thanks, but I need something bigger :/
> >
> > Ok, would 1 GB be sufficient? If yes, I'd recommend starting with that
> > size. I doubt that AHDI can handle bigger partitions, since the initial
> > ACSI bus specification had a limit to that size with the addressing
> > mode.
>
> Yep, it should be enough.

Btw. Why do you need such a large image file
instead of using GEMDOS HD emulation...?

Because I want to test something that works only with ACSI.

--
Semper Fidelis

Adam Klobukowski
adamklobukowski@xxxxxxxxx