Re: [hatari-devel] Most suitable GEMDOS path character replacement?

On sunnuntai 01 kesäkuu 2014, Thomas Huth wrote:
> schrieb Eero Tamminen <oak@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
> > I noticed a small problem with current GEMDOS HD emulation.
> > If host file name contains characters that are invalid for
> > GEMDOS, Hatari replaces them with '@' characters which are
> > valid.
> >
> > However, '@' has special meaning in INF files, which Hatari
> > uses to implement program autostarting.  I.e. currently
> > autostart doesn't work for programs that have invalid
> > characters.
> >

> > Any sugggestions on what character I should use as replacement
> > instead of '@'?
> >
> > It should be rarely used in Atari file names (to avoid file
> > name conflicts), valid for GEMDOS file names & paths, and
> > not cause problems in INF files or e.g. in GEM file selectors.
>
> Maybe '§' (just a blind guess)?

It's not a valid character.  See str.c Str_Filename2TOSname().

> Do you have a list of what characters are valid in GEMDOS?

Valid characters are ones with codes 33 -> 126, except for:

So it could be e.g. one of these:

Do any of them have any special meanings in TOS GEMDOS
device names, TOS INF files, any of the GEM file selectors,
or file handling routines of different Atari programming
languages & their file handling code?