Re: [hatari-devel] Maybe a gemdos bug, I don't know

On keskiviikko 27 maaliskuu 2013, Laurent Sallafranque wrote:
> I use a memory card as a hard drive.
>
> I always copy my main directory on this card (from linux).
> So Linux did the copy on the card and one directory was 9 chars len.

Ok, I see.

> TOS didn't like it.

If you format the card as FAT instead of VFAT, it will allow/support
only 8+3 names, but that might also limit the max. partition size.

I'm not sure whether modern GUI tools for formatting still support plain
FAT.  Hatari's "zip2st" tool/script uses "mformat" from Mtools for that.

> I haven't got the case now, but I can reproduce it if you want.

Thanks, but I don't think that's needed.

> Maybe this can never happen on a real falcon as you can only create a 8
> chars file name.

Hatari itself should now also create and open only 8+3 file names,
regardless of how long file names programs gave to GEMDOS functions.
It also gives a warning when it needs to clip the file name.

	- Eero