Re: [hatari-devel] WinUAE emulation bugs in 2013 / use of C++ compiler for Hatari build?

On tiistai 05 helmikuu 2013, Thomas Huth wrote:
> I remember some people trying to compile the Hatari C code with a
> C++-only compiler a couple of years ago, and that did not work very
> well or at all. So I really would like to avoid that if possible.

That was with with (nowadays obsolete) Visual Studio 6 from 90's,
but latest C++ compilers actually support C99.  And C++ vs C wasn't
the only issue with VS 6, there were also Windows API related ones.
:-)

C++ compilers are stricter, so they might also find some new bugs
in the code.  The main ugly thing is malloc return values, C++ likes
things to be nicely typed and doesn't like pointers to be assigned
to pointers of another type, so void* return values need explicit
casts.  Otherwise C++ compiler should be fine I think.

But if there are no real benefits for WinUAE porting, then it
doesn't make sense. :-/