Re: [hatari-devel] optimizing for speed (was: Beats of Rage, new Falcon game)

On sunnuntai 16 joulukuu 2012, George Nakos wrote:
> Sunday, December 16, 2012, 3:02:54 PM, you wrote:
> This  is  more  than  enough  evidence to me to conclude that on Atari
> 16/32  machines with hard drive, packing is really not worth it. If we
> talk about floppy releases though, yes, everything goes there!

I start to see why some people are so attached to Hatari's support
for zipped floppies.   Only thing we're missing is mounting a Zip archive
of these tens of MB  sized games & demos as (a read-only) GEMDOS emulated
hard disk... :-)

(I'm not going to implement that, but I would be interested to review
patches for it.)

> Bear in mind though that the
> JagCD format has no error correction ("Mr. Tramiel! We found a totally
> RAD  way  to  cram even MOAR data than 650MB onto a single CD! We just
> have     to     take     out     the    useless    error    correction
> data!!!!!!!!!!!111111onoenoenoeeoen"),  so a wrong read will lead to a
> nice depacking crash if things go well :)

In case you're interested, here are some recent blog posts on error
check algorithm speeds:
http://fastcompression.blogspot.fi/2012/04/selecting-checksum-algorithm.html
http://fastcompression.blogspot.fi/2012/04/detecting-errors.html

No idea how much they rely on CPU cache sizes etc, but as a test
suite is mentioned, it would be possible to try their speeds on
Atari if somebody's interested.