Re: [hatari-devel] Beats of Rage (new Falcon game)

On keskiviikko 12 joulukuu 2012, Laurent Sallafranque wrote:
> I'm happy to give you my first game on Falcon called "Beats of rage".
> (That's why I was less present these months :)
>
> You can download it at the following address :
> http://dl.free.fr/iR1aPVDZr
> Don't hesitate to have a look at the
> readme.txt file which gives more informations.

That says it's "a free adaptation of the game Paintown available
at the following address: http://paintown.sourceforge.net/"; and
"I've written all the code in pure 68030 assembler.   It took me
13 months to complete it".

Did you start coding from scratch or did you use assembly generated
by g++ from the game's C++ sources?  How slow a plain C++ source port
would have been?

> I've coded it exclusively under Hatari (but the final release is not
> compatible because of the sound),

Both versions work under Hatari, also the one with sound.
With the old UAE CPU, I was able to complete level one without
problems.

WinUAE version got stuck early in the level 1 though, so I guess
the issue is with that one.

> so I've included a version for hatari without sound nor musics.

Paradize's Chainz and Jewelz games contain music, but have a key
with which one can skip music.  Maybe your game could also have
a key for disabling sound/music?

> I wish we'll manage to fix this one day.

Firebee doesn't emulate DSP, so Hatari version might be useful
with that too.  But the code being 030 means that they need to
run it some instruction through emulator...  There's a converter
for m68k asm code, that might be useful too.