Re: [freevolive-users] Re: [ANNOUNCE] FreevoLive 0.12

Michel Hoogervorst wrote:
Hi,

Well, first of all, Mandriva is my personal favorite, it's also the first distro I ever used. Especially things like urpmi (which in my opinion is much better then apt-get), and the speed of a Mandriva system are the things I like about Mandriva. User-friendlyness is another big plus for Mandriva.

Besides that, FreevoLive is still a remaster of MCNLive, a Mandriva based live-cd. When MCNLive provided the function of a remaster, I thought it would be a cool idea to make my own version, with Freevo preinstalled and configured.

The next version will probably not be a remaster of MCNLive anymore, but will probably be build from a clean Mandriva system (if I have enough time to figure that out, before a new Freevo release that is ;-)).

Fedora Core is just not as user-friendly as Mandriva, Gentoo is not user-friendly at all and Ubuntu is a lot slower then Mandriva. I like the fact that this is still a 100% pure Mandriva system, all software was installed from rpm packages, and thus can be deleted/updated etc just with a few clicks in the Mandriva Control Center, or with the urpmi/urpme command-line utilities.

Ah, I was curious about that. For this purpose, it doesn't really matter what is "under the covers" in terms of the distro since it is supposed to be a liveCD and more of an "appliance" than a desktop OS. I have never tried Mandriva before so it is a learning experience for me. Thanks for the note.

Cheers,