[eigen] Recursive Matrices in Eigen

Hello everyone,

for the past months we have been working on making recursive matrices work in eigen. Here is an example:

SparseMatrix<Matrix<double,4,3>> A;
Matrix<Matrix<double,4,1>,-1,1> x,b;
x = A * b;

The obvious advantage is that we get support for block matrices on all eigen types for "free" ( DiagonalMatrix,TriangularView,LDLT,...). After some testing, the performance appeared to be "better than expected" and we have decided to write a paper on how to apply recursive matrices on non-linear least squares problems. The paper is accepted and will be published at HPG in July. Here is the current version:

https://cloud9.cs.fau.de/index.php/s/UINyrgAUtaAiWvR

Unfortunately there are two limitations which I was not able to fix.

1. All inner matrix types require an additional wrapper class, which I have called "MatrixScalar". The matrix A from above is then:

SparseMatrix<MatrixScalar<Matrix<double,4,3>>> A;

2. Some eigen kernels do not work directly. For example, some operations use the function scaleAndAddTo(..., Scalar(1)), which does not work if "Scalar" is a recursive matrix type. To fix this I had to specialize a lot of eigen kernels, which creates redundancy with only minor changes.

So here are my questions to you:

What do you think about this idea?

Do you think a deep integration into eigen would be possible? (Without recursive specializations and without "MatrixScalar" class)

The code can be found here:
https://github.com/darglein/EigenRecursive

Example for sparse block-matrices:
https://github.com/darglein/EigenRecursive/blob/master/samples/sparseOperators/sparseOperators_main.cpp