Re: [eigen] Intel (R) MKL IE SpBLAS support in Eigen

On Fri, Apr 6, 2018 at 3:06 AM, Edward Lam <edward@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On a related topic, I have similar questions about this with the solver and matrix class too. What happens if the matrix is destroyed before the solver in Eigen? I've always been careful that doesn't happen when I write code because I'm not sure of the consequences.

Basically, no dependency for direct solvers whereas iterative solvers store a reference. There are red warnings in the reference doc, e.g.:

  https://eigen.tuxfamily.org/dox/classEigen_1_1ConjugateGradient.html#ac10f778fcd137eca1f6057c8ddd3d644
  https://eigen.tuxfamily.org/dox/classEigen_1_1IterativeSolverBase.html#a7dfa55c55e82d697bde227696a630914

but I agree that that's not clear from the user manual pages.

gael

-Edward

Actually, this last example is not conceivable at the moment because the facto
Anyways, all these variants are essentially syntactic sugar/implementation details, and at this stage I'm more concerned about possible shortcomings in the general approach. Is it flexible enough? I'm also not fan of introducing a MklSparseMatrix inheriting SparseMatrix, but I don't have a better offer for now that is generic and easily applicable to decompositions.

gael

However, if this is required, I would suggest to add this method not only to matrices but also to the decomposition (and pass it through to the internal matrices). Otherwise, this does not scale for decompositions which use more than one matrix (like SparseLU). And we could even let the sparseAnalyze() functions return a proxy to the decomposition which would allow writing something like:

    x = llt.sparseAnalyzeAndRun(100)->solve(b);
    // equivalent to
    llt.sparseAnalyzeAndRun(100, [&]{x=llt.solve(b);});

or
    {
        auto llt_ = llt.sparseAnalyzeAndRun(100);
        x = llt_-> solve(b);
        y = llt_-> matrixL() * c;
    } // destructor of llt_ calls `endAnalyze`

The naming of this method is still debatable, of course.
And I have no idea what actually happens inside MKL when it 'analyzes' an operation (after how many iterations do you actually benefit from the overhead of analyzing the operation?)

Christoph

Cheers,
-Edward