Re: [eigen] Eigen containers cannot be vectorized

(Side note - pretty sure you were the math teacher of my younger brother Pierre at Janson-de-Sailly ;-) )

Yes I was. The world is so small. I really remember him as he was both good in maths and a wonderful student to have. Donne-lui le bonjour.

For the scalar type, yes my intent was to have pointer aliasing. So I have used a matrix of Eigen::Index types. But it turns out that even with “double”, the following code does not vectorize:

#include <Eigen/Dense>

void f(Eigen::Matrix<double, Eigen::Dynamic, Eigen::Dynamic>& B) {
  Eigen::Index cols = B.cols();
  Eigen::Index rows = B.rows();
  for (Eigen::Index j = 0; j < cols; ++j) {
    for (Eigen::Index i = 0; i < rows; ++i) {
      B(i, j) = 1.0 / (1 + i + j);

I don’t know Eigen enough, but I fear that the code "const Derived& derived() const { return *static_cast<const Derived*>(this) }” does not help the compiler in analyzing possible pointer aliasing.

So the problem seems to come with any type.

François Fayard
Founder & Consultant - Inside Loop
Applied Mathematics & High Performance Computing
Tel: +33 (0)6 01 44 06 93
Web: www.insideloop.io