Re: [eigen] Status of non-OpenMP-based multithreading

Hi list,

I actually like having threading opt-in. This also fits better with having multiple coexisting paths, letting the user choose between them; indeed, I think it's important here to acknowledge the absence of a single universal solution: neither OpenMP nor C++11 are universal as far as Eigen is concerned, and both hide enough 'magic' in their implementation that we can easily imagine having users running into trouble on a particular implementation (concretely, at least some Android toolchains have a very poorly performing implementation of C++11 threads).

I agree with opt-in for threading. I'm using Eigen on "bare metal" single-core microcontrollers that has no OS at all, and it would be a hassle to have to somehow emulate C++11 threads or similar. It is really easy getting Eigen going on these devices the way it is now.

Best regards,
Ola Røer Thorsen