Re: [eigen] Proposal to remove aligned alloc paths

> This is to propose that we drop two paths from aligned_malloc: the "malloc is already aligned"
> path, and the mm_malloc path.

I don't know anything about the mm_malloc path, in fact I didn't know it existed... :)

> The "malloc is already aligned" path relies on the assumption that malloc's nonstandard
> properties are only a function of the platform, which we tried to detect using preprocessor
> tokens. But malloc is not a system feature, it's a C library feature and many
> applications override it. Thus, we can't know if malloc is already aligned based on platform checks.

I don't know how this is on other platforms, but on OS X there is one true (system) malloc, and I would
expect any replacement or override to exhibit the same (alignment) properties. So on such a system,
platform checks should be fine (otherwise the replacement malloc is bugged on that platform).

Best regards

Daniel Vollmer

Deutsches Zentrum für Luft- und Raumfahrt e.V. (DLR)
German Aerospace Center
Institute of Aerodynamics and Flow Technology | Lilienthalplatz 7 | 38108 Braunschweig | Germany