|Re: [eigen] 3.1.4 & 3.0.7 on Friday?|
[ Thread Index |
| More lists.tuxfamily.org/eigen Archives
- To: eigen <eigen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
- Subject: Re: [eigen] 3.1.4 & 3.0.7 on Friday?
- From: Gael Guennebaud <gael.guennebaud@xxxxxxxxx>
- Date: Fri, 2 Aug 2013 00:38:08 +0200
- Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=20120113; h=mime-version:in-reply-to:references:from:date:message-id:subject:to :content-type; bh=TChtwmCA+zV9NO72Z+o5RoL4VexJytLikwJGEVsXZ9Y=; b=M3XN4tedGTFt9uVJyN4eH09gICNAHEJMGQ1B9tSHsDqawqDs8ndUNkZ5sUMlKrT/2O 4Tc82IqbCPLA3+n+Yf4znF6L7NkC1KVag5AZr7MuCNpoZCvSNl2uhfWh0lh0h9A/MBxZ dZVaoPYPjmme29h4d6psMhJ0615CjoDGlXt6Eiu6zT/gmI+LrGZxosk12YaN8TOLgxT8 MF66mqq7a1Z1OFOalImYH1N2wfKTeWNGEa3QCjgC8H2onnw9ZaFg48Qwf0QEe1jPFMdh 6aZCyGpqx4OngXvHZ9vO/oPhdgvQw7XbGNgY2CF5SFZOvpOJdBSJM3rE/z9guKg/YzEr mZlw==
On Thu, Aug 1, 2013 at 10:24 PM, Jitse Niesen <jitse@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Thu, 1 Aug 2013, Rhys Ulerich wrote:
>>>> Running 'EIGEN_SEED=1375367469
>>>> ./build/test/product_trmm_21' causes a repeatable failure for all
>>>> compilers tested.
>>> I cannot reproduce. Does it fails for this seed only?
>> It failed on several seeds for me. Using 'while
>> ./build/test/product_trmm_21 ; do echo WORKED ; done' will let your
>> CPU crank on it until either you find one that breaks or you get bored
>> of waiting.
> I can reproduce it, with the same seed, both for the new 3.1.4 and the
> current dev branch.
> I haven't looked at it in detail yet, but the test compares two ways of
> computing A - B, where A is a given matrix and B is a product involving a
> triangular matrix. For some reason, there is a lot of cancellation going on,
> even though these are big random matrices. The norm of A and B are both
> about 300, but the norm of A - B is 0.019 and norm of the difference of
> computing A - B with both methods is 6e-5 (here, norm is the Kronecker norm,
> the sqrt of sum of squares). The test compares 6e-5 with 0.019 and fails,
> but arguably it should compare it with 300 and succeed.
Yes I came with the same conclusion with a different seed.
Surprisingly the cancellation come from the last difference, not the
product. So this seems to fix the issue:
> So my guess is that the failure is nothing serious, but it's a tad
> preliminary at the moment, and I need to stop now.