From: Christoph Hertzberg [chtz@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Wednesday, July 24, 2013 4:41 PM
To: eigen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [eigen] Symmetric Indefinite Solver Support

On 25.07.2013 00:44, Cowing-Zitron, Christopher wrote:
> I've been going through the Eigen documentation, and it appears that
> all the symmetry-preserving factorizations available require the
> matrix to be positive definite. Obviously, this is necessarily the

SelfAdjointEigenSolver also works on indefinite matrices (of course
that's a bad choice, if you basically want to solve a linear system).

> case for the built-in LLt and LDLt factorizations, as they don't do
> any pivoting.

LDLt does pivoting (but only 1x1) and it only requires the matrix to be
semidefinite (positive or negative). It also works for some indefinite
matrices (those that don't require 2x2 pivoting, e.g. [1 0; 0 -1] is no
problem).

 > But the documentation also claims that the Pardiso and
> Pastix LDLt modules only support definite matrices, whereas I know
> both of those libraries do support 2x2 pivoting for indefinite
> problems. Is this simply an error in the Eigen documentation? Or have

It's certainly possible that there is an error in the documentation.
Did you try out what happens when you pass an indefinite matrix to
Pardiso/Pastix?

cheers,
Christoph

Dipl.-Inf., Dipl.-Math. Christoph Hertzberg
Cartesium 0.049
Universität Bremen
Enrique-Schmidt-Straße 5
28359 Bremen