Re: [eigen] Proposal for a 6 month release calendar

I know I've been away for over a year now and I have very little say
in things, but here's just a random suggestion: you might be
interested in the "release train" model, first pioneered by the Chrome
team, quickly adopted by Mozilla as this model is so powerful that
once your main competitor does it, you have basically no choice but to
follow suit.

The idea is that you have N "channels" (for example you could have N=3
channels: 1) trunk, 2) beta, 3) release) are developed simultaneously,
and at fixed intervals, each channel gets moved into the next (more
"stable") channel, for example trunk moves into beta and beta moves
into release, and from there on trunk heads into a new version.

The upside is that there is never a freeze, so you can have as
frequent releases as you want without slowing down development. It
means a model where instead of being sometimes in development mode and
sometimes in stabilization mode, you're constantly in a mix of, say,
80% development and 20% stabilization.

The downside is that this incurs some work, to move code around from a
channel to another etc.

I'd be happy to serve as "release engineer" for Eigen as a way to get
back into Eigen work a bit, so if you're interested in this model, i
can execute it for you.

Benoit