Re: [eigen] Important: Relicensing Eigen to MPL2

2012/1/21 Rohit Garg <rpg.314@xxxxxxxxx>:
> TL;DR
>
> I am not in favor of BSD/MIT/Apache etc.
>
> My criteria are
>
> a) Does MPL2 require redistribution of changes to Eigen itself?

Yes, but specifically only for the files that come from the
MPL2-licensed software. That's called file-level copyleft. So if you
make an improvement to Eigen's own files, and distribute software
based on that improved Eigen, you have to allow people to get these
Eigen improvements. If on the other hand you improve Eigen from the
outside (e.g. you add a new feature without modifying existing files)
then there is no copyleft requirement. In the case of Eigen, that
doesn't make much of a difference since my understanding of the LGPL3
Section 3 is that things were already working that way. But at least
it's much more explicit with MPL2, without room for corner cases.

> b) Can I use MPL2 licensed Eigen in a LGPL2/3 project? GPL2/GPL3 project?

Yes and yes. The MPL2 is GPL-compatible, contrary to the MPL1.

Benoit