Re: [eigen] Checking for integer overflow in size computations

On 16.10.2011 22:21, Benoit Jacob wrote:
Note that there is a small performance overhead associated with that.
I tried to minimize it, but there is still 1 integer division in the
size=rows*cols overflow check. I hope that's still negligible compared
to the cost of malloc.

I have not looked into your patch yet, but wouldn't a multiplication in int64/int128 also do the job? I guess that would be much cheaper than a division. Anyways I would agree that the overhead should be negligible. If someone really cares for that overhead, we might introduce a flag such as EIGEN_DONT_CHECK_INTEGER_OVERFLOW.

Like the standard behavior of operator new and of our own aligned_new
routines, these checks throw std::bad_alloc on error and don't do
anything else. In particular, we still don't guarantee that
aligned_new returns null on error. It feels weird to me to rely
entirely on exceptions to report these errors, but this is how c++
works (as long as one doesn't use nothrow-new) and what we've been
doing. Is this OK?

I don't want to start a philosophical discussion about exceptions vs return-type checking, but honestly I guess that the C++ way is much more reliable, since about 99% of malloc users hardly ever check for NULL pointers ("Come on, how likely is it that I can't get ** MB?"). Furthermore, I guess hardly anyone disables exceptions in C++, unless he really knows what he's doing.

Christoph

Dipl.-Inf. Christoph Hertzberg
Cartesium 0.051
Universität Bremen