[eigen] SimplicialCholesky - subclass or patch?

I forgot to cc: the list on this reply.

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Douglas Bates <bates@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, Jun 28, 2011 at 5:19 PM
Subject: Re: [eigen] SimplicialCholesky - subclass or patch?
To: Tom Makin <t.makin@xxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: gael.guennebaud@xxxxxxxxx

On Tue, Jun 28, 2011 at 2:59 PM, Tom Makin <t.makin@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I would very much support any additions to Eigen that allow direct access to
> the L matrix in a sparse Cholesky decomposition. I am currently working on a
> surrogate modelling application and have recently switched over to Eigen in
> all my code. The main reason I need access to L is to update the
> factorisation without having to re-factorise the whole thing when I add a
> couple of extra rows. I am comfortable doing this for the dense case but I
> am yet to get to grips with the sparse version because I can't get at L
> directly. I have been able to do a limited amount of sparse updating using
> cholmod, but I would like to try and implement it in way that is independent
> of the sparse solver.
>
> Douglas: Would you be willing to send me your SimplicalCholesky subclass?

I spoke too soon.  I had not yet tested the code that I wrote and,
naturally, it blew up on me.

The problem I am encountering is that the return type of a matrixL
method will be determined by the MatrixType and the current value of
m_LDLt. If m_LDLt is true the return type should be
TriangularView<MatrixType, UnitLower>, otherwise
TriangularView<MatrixType, Lower>.  Because m_LDLt can be set or unset
for an instance of the class, I don't think there is a way to
determine at compile time which it should be.  The only way I can
think of to give a definite return type is always to return the Lower
form and, when LDLt is true, add the identity to the strict lower
triangle, which wastes some storage, and will have less efficient
solve methods than are otherwise possible.

Am I missing something here?