|[eigen] Announcing eigen.js for cloud computing|
[ Thread Index |
| More lists.tuxfamily.org/eigen Archives
- To: eigen <eigen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
- Subject: [eigen] Announcing eigen.js for cloud computing
- From: Benoit Jacob <jacob.benoit.1@xxxxxxxxx>
- Date: Fri, 1 Apr 2011 08:52:58 -0400
- Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=gamma; h=domainkey-signature:mime-version:date:message-id:subject:from:to :content-type; bh=RYXin3W3LBEulYl2NQqZWAP/sMK5ROU4clBpElQLCC8=; b=E7+egOoVkPPS879sipQp6qCexRcRn3r1xcoYf6SkViVFkL73vmzW4UauQoala5hY6D fdgCj4fJqEgWIv29p6N0jmXQi6BPFXSycV5crU9FqJJ8bL70qySe0WvG1KVZzJdEhtkQ OrVSKt5PRsz4kxMiWpCfQCVF/hrZ9pyp7vlh0=
- Domainkey-signature: a=rsa-sha1; c=nofws; d=gmail.com; s=gamma; h=mime-version:date:message-id:subject:from:to:content-type; b=pznSU+mT/jHEymagrUXI8fwPmpsBAmgPck5lDO/ADcJpsdplZTFQJHU23UXN1ePX8F +pBzu3UrU16qjMHLxJw5Wuk3/w7cH71uu/Af+hGHmno+jdWxwUcEEPhSjLW9ityk2nkc 4N7qgvLSG9z7iDPYQNB3NOEKYBVf9wWFz+UXA=
tracing  and polymorphic inline caches  are exactly what we need
to efficiently do what we currently do in C++ with expression
templates. Actually, thanks to being JIT compiled on the client's
machine, this could easily outperform C++ code.
So, today I announce eigen.js:
Envisioned applications include games, since new technologies such as
WebGL  allow for modern gaming in the browser.
But the real vision is cloud computing. Suppose that you have a large
computation-intensive task to perform. Until now, you had to purchase
expensive hardware to accomplish that. But by integrating eigen.js
scripts into your website, you could run a little bit of computation
on each visitor's computers, without them even noticing. This could be
the next revolution in the monetization of the web, which so far was
mostly based on annoying and privacy-invading advertisement systems.
By leveraging the untapped computational potential of millions of web
users, one could achieve the first non-advertising business model
supporting free Web services. Moreover, while advertisements are easy
to block  as the ads are served from external domains, your
eigen.js-based computation scripts could be entirely integrated into
your webpage, making it entirely transparent to the user.