Re: [eigen] random thoughts -- we need more Gaels

2010/10/3 Rui Maciel <rui.maciel@xxxxxxxxx>:

> Benoit Jacob wrote:
>> Obviously we've just had the least active month or two in recent Eigen
>> history. While that can be attributed to the summer and the subsequent
>> busy back-to-school time of the year, that isn't all. We need to
>> organize to scale better, and to get more people to step up as more
>> core contributors.
>
> If the project needs more developers then the current members should focus on
> attracting fellow developers to this project.  That means investing some time
> doing fundamental stuff such as making the source code readable and writing a
> decent (and in some cases, any) documentation.  Or, to put it in other words,
> make the project more developer-friendly.

Further down in my original email, that's what I was saying... also
see Cyrille's reply.

> Just to point out a couple of fundamental issues which Eigen fails to address
> and therefore makes this project a bit unattractive to developers, the source
> code is practically void of any comments and there is absolutely no resource
> that presents to the potential developer a general picture of Eigen's design,
> algorithms employed, adopted patterns or even any of the development
> conventions which were adopted by this project.

yes, that's what I had in mind with "developer documentation".

Eigen already attracts a good number of occasional contributors,
what's hard is to convince people that it's their new main hobby for
the next 3 years.

Benoit