Re: [eigen] Low performance in DEBUG mode

Am 25.10.2010 13:22, Benoit Jacob wrote:
[snip]

>> The last third is specific to Eigen's unit tests. They enable special
>> Eigen debugging code that makes them slower than regular debug mode
>> (EIGEN_INTERNAL_DEBUGGING). Basically, every coefficient access, even
>> internal ones, is checked to be in range (default debug mode skips
>> that on eigen-internal coefficient addressing and only checks user
>> addressing).
>>
>>> , is there a way
>>> around to compile my unit tests also in debug mode, but with a bit more
>>> performance in the end?
>>> Even setting our cmake build type to: RelWithDebugInfo resulting effective in
>>> those CXX flags: "-g -DDEBUG -O2" shows no improvement. I assume this depends
>>> on the "-DDEBUG", am I right?
>>
>> No, -DDEBUG is just enabling regular assertions, that's not too slow.
>>
>> It's weird that RelWithDebInfo wasn't any faster for you. I checked
>> the whole command line with VERBOSE=1 make,  and it should really be
>> optimized and fast:
>>
>>   -g2 -O2 -g  -O2 -g2
>>
>> (redundancy is no problem)
>
> Please try today's hg development branch with RelWithDebInfo. a Cmake
> issue was recently fixed.

Oh dear!, I tried it with new checkout from hg, but with no success since I've
should checked earlier with VERBOSE=1! I typed: RelWithDebugInfo instead of
RelWithDebInfo, now I've fast unittests with debug info :D, so thank you for
your help and explanation from above.

Mathias

--
Institut für Informatik