Re: [eigen] Why no LU::solveInPlace()?

2010/9/3 Benoit Jacob <jacob.benoit.1@xxxxxxxxx>:
> 2010/9/3 Gael Guennebaud <gael.guennebaud@xxxxxxxxx>:
>> On Sat, Aug 21, 2010 at 1:21 AM, Christoph Hertzberg
>> <chtz@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>>> I really hope that this comparison will be optimized away in most cases by
>>> any recent compiler ...
>>
>> I tried the following:
>>
>> MatrixXf A, B, C;
>> B = A.lu().solve(B);
>> C = A.lu().solve(B);
>>
>> in the first case the if is optimized away, and in the second it is
>> not. But anyway here we are talking about a single if among O(N^2)
>> comparisons so do we really care ?
>> <SNIP>
>> Anyway, I would to have more opinion about whether there really is a
>> strong need for an additional solveInPlace(X) function when X =
>> solve(X) can already work in place ?
>
> For MatrixXf we don't. For Matrix2f we might (as the branching's cost
> can be non-negligible)... I really can't make up my mind. On the one
> hand it is unusual for us in Eigen to do this kind of if(), and it is
> unusual for us to tolerate even small / potential overheads when the
> matrices at hand may be fixed-size. On the other hand, since we don't
> currently have fixed-size specializations for these decompositions, we
> do currently have overhead in these decompositions. Yet again, this
> new if() would be a kind of overhead inherent to the API. Also, what
> if the B is an expression that takes longer to write. Then having to
> write it twice will be annoying. For example:
>
> B.foo().bar().long().expression() = A.solve(B.foo().bar().long().expression());

Wait, there are 2 more problems here that I didn't anticipate before.

The first problem is that  B.foo() will return a new (lightweight)
expression object everytime, so pointer comparisons will fail.

The second problem is that just taking a pointer to an expression
object could easily prevent the compiler from "optimizing away" this
object. I know we are already doing that in transpose() aliasing
detection but that is just in debug mode, right? Here we're now
talking about adding that also in non-debug mode and that could be a
bigger issue. Although I guess that the cost of constructing the
expression is totally negligible in this particular case (solving
being expensive enough) I thought that was worth bringing up. In the
case of complex enough expressions and small fixed sizes, this could
easily become non-negligible.

Benoit