Re: [eigen] Special topic page on Aliasing

On Wed, 4 Aug 2010, Benoit Jacob wrote:

I have a few comments about the content. The example a=a.transpose()
is a bit special as we do catch it with an assertion in Eigen. So it's
not really dangerous (not any more than any other illegal op) it's
just illegal.

Wait... indeed this example is already mentioned on page 2 of the
tutorial and the output does show the aliasing problem. What's
happening?? I thought we were catching this?? See
checkTransposeAliasing_impl in Transpose.h ... ?!

After a bit of a search, I found out that this example is compiled with EIGEN_NO_DEBUG (see the last line in doc/snippets/CMakeLists.txt) and thus the assertion is not checked. I'll add something to the aliasing docs page to clarify this.

Jitse