Re: [eigen] legal question

Here's a answer from Luis Villa of Mozilla, that is relevant to this discussion:

http://groups.google.com/group/mozilla.governance.mpl-update/msg/12e90f946369ad71

Basically:
A. we can indeed decide that very short code snippets are not
copyrighted, in which case there's no problem at all (and I would then
recommend CC-BY i.e. no copyleft on the docs).
B. what Mozilla is doing is that both code AND documentation are
MPL-licensed. The MPL alllows that i.e. it is a license that applies
well to both code and docs.

Unfortunately, the docs licensing problem is something we need to fix
NOW, we can't wait till the MPL v2 is out and everybody agrees to use
it (which might never happen).

So I think that our best option for now is A. We do have very short
code snippets at many places in the docs, e.g. the typedefs, the
template declarations etc. And in a template metaprogramming context
like ours, the border between this and "actual code" is just too
fuzzy.

Is everyone OK to license our documentation as CC-BY, including the
snippets it contains? That means that we need to refrain from
including significant pieces of Eigen code into the docs (snippets
should be trivial), which could have been useful in more advanced,
developer documentation. To work around this problem, we should
instead link to some online copy of those Eigen source files with
anchor to the relevant line number.

ok?

Benoit