Re: [eigen] any remaining issues blocking beta1, speak up!

On Sun, Jul 4, 2010 at 5:42 AM, Benoit Jacob <jacob.benoit.1@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Besides the -fstrict-aliasing issue, is there anything else blocking beta1 ?
>
> For the -fstrict-aliasing issue, do I understand correctly that it is
> ONLY with gcc 4.3, and not any other version?

yes this is really specific to this version of GCC. I spent almost a
day on it, and my intuition is that gcc gets confused by the deep
hierarchy and the static cast from the top level expression to, e.g.,
DenseBase, and back to expression via derived(). But that's only an
intuition.

> If yes, do you want us to go forward and just release beta1 with a
> "caveat", "exposes what seems to be a bug in gcc 4.3" ?

yes, and the solution is to compile with -O2 -fno-strict-aliasing....

gael