Re: [eigen] Problem inverting a Matrix4f with Eigen 2.0.0

Hi List,

Just responding to this discussion on condition number functions and
their availability in similar packages to Eigen..

LAPACK's expert driver routines do calculate the condition number of
the matrix (http://www.netlib.org/lapack/single/).  In Numerical
Linear Algebra, I would consider the condition number's definition
under the 2-norm as the largest singular value divided by the smallest
to be well-accepted (see Trefethen and Bau, "Numerical Linear
Algebra", Strang, "Introduction to Linear Algebra")

http://books.google.com/books?id=Gv4pCVyoUVYC&pg=PA462&lpg=PA462&dq=strang+condition+number&source=bl&ots=SVf4gZC6WK&sig=gXUXnq2IossfbUyIXZ7ogDrDm8I&hl=en&ei=ucdBTJOoOZWC4Qbw-5icDg&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=5&ved=0CCgQ6AEwBA#v=onepage&q=condition%20number&f=false

It is also offered in

NumPy
http://docs.scipy.org/doc/numpy/reference/generated/numpy.linalg.cond.html

MATLAB
http://www.mathworks.com/access/helpdesk/help/techdoc/ref/cond.html

I know that condition number refers to problems, not specific
operators, however the common parlance, at least in American textbooks
and numerical computing software, is to treat "condition number", as
an alias for "condition number of matrix inversion".

Hope this helps,
Aron