Re: [eigen] [patch] LDLt decomposition with rank-deficient matrices

2010/6/28 Ben Goodrich <bgokgm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
> Hi Benoit,
>
> On Mon, Jun 28, 2010 at 8:51 AM, Benoit Jacob <jacob.benoit.1@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> Hi Ben,
>>
>> Let's get this sorted :) So far I didn't participate much in the
>> discussion so I may be missing a lot of things.
>>
>> When it was question of making pivoting/nopivoting an option of the
>> LDLT class, I thought we were talking about a template parameter. If
>> fact, in your patch, it is a runtime option. In all other
>> decompositions in Eigen, we have made this be separate classes, e.g.
>> HouseholderQR vs ColPivHouseholderQR. Frankly I would like LDLT to do
>> the same. Keep LDLT pivoting, and add a NoPivLDLT class. This will
>> actually make your NoPivLDLT be more optimized (the biggest advantage
>> will be smaller executable code). The only advantage of having that as
>> runtime param is to share code if a user is using both flavors of
>> LDLT. I believe that the most common case is that a program will use
>> at most one flavor of LDLT.
>>
>> If you send a patch with this change, I promise I'll review it :)
>>
>> Benoit
>
> That is all fine with me; I don't have any strong reason to prefer a
> runtime option. But I interpreted Gael's email on June 16 as asking
> for a runtime option and then later he asked about the possibly of a
> separate class. So, it seems we now have a consensus on the separate
> class at least. :)

Indeed his email was a bit unclear :) trust me, a separate class is
how we do everywhere else:
  FullPivLU vs PartialPivLU
  ColPivHouseholderQR vs FullPivHouseholderQR vs HouseholderQR
etc... not to mention that we chose to let LDLT and LLT be separate classes.

Having a separate class is also a very good idea because, depending on
whether we are pivoting or not, some methods are wanted or unwanted
(e.g. the accessor to get the permutation). Guarding that with asserts
isn't as good as guarding that at compile time...

Benoit