Re: [eigen] Minimal ei_traits?

It would take long to discuss all this and I really don't have time,
but here's my main criticism:

You are letting HermitianMatrix inherit MatrixBase, which means that
you're saying that it's addressable as a dense expression, using
accessors like

    coeff(int row, int col)

but the problem is that such an accessor can't be implemented very
efficiently (it has to do some runtime branching). So, letting
HermitianMatrix be used as dense expressions would be quite
inefficient. Instead, I would go for handling a HermitianMatrix as a
very special object on which only a few specific operations are
supported. So my inheritance diagram would be, basically:

EigenBase <--- HermitianMatrix

For inspiration you could look at DiagonalMatrix or BandMatrix or
PermutationMatrix.

Yes that means that expression templates are not available for these
classes, but it's quite OK as it's not needed anyway and/or would have
to be completely different (e.g. scalar*hermitian is no longer
hermitian unless scalar is real).

Oh and in Eigen we have aligned our terminology on SelfAdjoint instead
of Hermitian :-)

Finally, I still don't see, in what you said, a reason to use ei_traits.

Benoit