Re: [eigen] log10 support?

this sounds good to me, except that in ei_plog10, the function log is not defined, you have to use ei_log(10)

gael

On Tue, Jun 8, 2010 at 7:42 AM, Trevor Irons <trevorirons@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
OK, I made the changes you suggested/requested. Non SSE is still calling std::log10. Is this what you wanted?

I think I cached 1/ln(10) alright for packets of 4f. I did this in Eigen/src/Core/arch/SSE/MathFunctions.h. I basically followed the example of plog.

I removed the HasLog10 and added the cost of 1 multiply to the cost in Fuctors.h to reflect the multipy. Is this accurate?

Thanks for holding my hand on this.

-Trevor

On 7 June 2010 18:06, Benoit Jacob <jacob.benoit.1@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
2010/6/7 Benoit Jacob <jacob.benoit.1@xxxxxxxxx>:
> ok so time for another answer :)
>
> The only thing that I really don't want is for us to add
> SSE/AltiVec/whatever code for log10. We must reuse the existing code
> for log there.
>
> Then there are two ways:
> a) the way of your patch: add a new custom functor for log10
> b) the way i suggested: just let log10 return a product _expression_.
>
> Your way a) has the advantage of sparing one multiplication (at least
> in the non vectorized case), but b) means less extra code.
>
> Now Hauke raises a good point, that I overlooked: even with a) you can
> still reuse our vectorization code for log10. So actually, I'm OK with
> your approach, provided that we do that. You can do it generically for
> all types at once (Hauke showed the way for float but there's no
> reason to special-case it): edit Core/GenericPacketMath.h and
> implement ei_plog10 there like the other functions, returning
>  ei_pmul(
>    ei_pset1(log(Scalar(0.1))),

woooooops!!

replace log(Scalar(0.1)) by Scalar(1) / log(Scalar(10))

and sorry Hauke, I saw too late that you already wrote that. Though I
guess there's value in insisting that it's faster to multiply by a
constant, than to divide by a constant.

Benoit