Re: [eigen] how to create a "virtual" array or matrix?

Hi David,

   IIUC, you want an "encoded" representation of 2D position vectors, in
real-space or k-space, i.e., you would like to generate the positions from
grid-point info as opposed to explicitly storing the coordinates.

   AFAIK, the best way to achieve this in Eigen is when your 2D mesh is a
tensor-mesh (i.e., cartesian-product) of two 1-D meshes and each 1D mesh is
linearly-spaced. Then you can simply declare two such encoded 1D meshes and
explicitly manage the 2D relation between them yourself (eg.
loop-nesting-order etc).

   For example, a 1D linearly-spaced mesh [-0.5,0.5) with points spaced at
0.05 (which is useful for representing 1D Wigner-Seitz cells) can be declared
like:

   VectorXd::SequentialLinSpacedReturnType const x_mesh=
         VectorXd::LinSpaced(Sequential_t(), -0.5, 0.45, 20);
   VectorXd::RandomAccessLinSpacedReturnType const x_mesh=
         VectorXd::LinSpaced(-0.5, 0.45, 20);

The first version allows better vectorization since it assumes you will
iterate sequentially through the mesh, always. If you are going to perform
random-access on the mesh points, the second version is better.

Note that the upper and lower bounds of the mesh are inclusive and that we
provide the total number of points, N (eigen divides mesh-length by N-1).

Refer to DenseBase.h and Functors.h. The above discussion refers to Eigen 3.

cheers!
Manoj