|Re: [eigen] LU decomposition with partial pivoting ?|
[ Thread Index |
| More lists.tuxfamily.org/eigen Archives
- To: eigen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
- Subject: Re: [eigen] LU decomposition with partial pivoting ?
- From: Gael Guennebaud <gael.guennebaud@xxxxxxxxx>
- Date: Wed, 5 May 2010 16:52:52 +0200
- Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=gamma; h=domainkey-signature:received:mime-version:received:in-reply-to :references:from:date:message-id:subject:to:content-type; bh=P5c5n0atE+R0SZT2xvTNKk7YWKdlTo/upz0xCod5Sug=; b=HUs1hLyFbBYyu9JxtQXzRRNKdDW3SOparPaFnBSh0DmyRLEEuHLtJnlH+X9isZwca9 E3tSdBbDPwgep2GQuBwjvk1nmjj+QOsf46Mymx6KZciP/Cy93xgscswqOGlGC9UtqvYJ 7f4Kvk5TyQmlWxIlvwUZQqIODL72j6WbHlz3k=
- Domainkey-signature: a=rsa-sha1; c=nofws; d=gmail.com; s=gamma; h=mime-version:in-reply-to:references:from:date:message-id:subject:to :content-type; b=iS2JRxlGx/eYNZYhiKIELEZNUlZvrB1T75nV2lvTISqP3USNu7MJ/452yRGhNdHmBc lS8nzok7R+gMBlea/lhVvCq0QkStaEzejpK7H/6ZQaQewzRzmKbjwb02QNFT2b2Z71JR HHKzNnRQK3ojQmuLxUeHMyKjJQAAqdu1UEuW8=
in the devel branch we already have partial pivoting LU with a quite efficient blocked implementation.
I strongly encourage you to switch to the devel branch. Perhaps, the only annoying thing with the devel branch is that the doc is not up to date everywhere...
On Wed, May 5, 2010 at 4:41 PM, <vincent.lejeune@xxxxxxxxxx>
it seems that the LU decomposition routine provided by Eigen are doing
However, LU decomposition in Lapack is done with only partial pivoting
I was wondering if it was planned to expose a routine that do only partial
pivoting (ie swap of rows only, not columns).
Although full pivoting give better result in term of precisions, it is
usually slower, because of cache unfriendlyness. On the other hand, partial
pivoting allow to "tile" the LU algorithm, allowing more parallelisation
for very big matrix...It would be easier to use gpu computing capabilities
if the algorithm do partial pivoting only.