Re: [eigen] Status of givens QR decomposition

On Tue, Apr 27, 2010 at 1:31 PM, Benoit Jacob <jacob.benoit.1@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
2010/4/27 Adolfo Rodríguez Tsouroukdissian <dofo79@xxxxxxxxx>:

> On Tue, Jan 26, 2010 at 1:52 PM, Benoit Jacob <jacob.benoit.1@xxxxxxxxx>
> wrote:
>>
>> 2010/1/26 Thomas Capricelli <orzel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
>> >
>> > As a following to:
>> >
>> > http://listengine.tuxfamily.org/lists.tuxfamily.org/eigen/2009/09/msg00009.html
>> >
>> > I'd like to say that i have a very important use case for givens-QR with
>> > big matrices in the NonlinearOptimization module. This is useful in the
>> > variant of the Levenberg Marquardt algorithm for very big matrices,
>> > so-called 'storage efficient': the qr decomposition is done with givens
>> > rotation, presumably because this is the only decomposition that can be done
>> > incrementally : the matrix to decompose is not known as a whole, but is
>> > constructed line by line, 'updating' the qr decomposition and deleting the
>> > line.
>>
>> Interesting!!
>>

>> > Andrea, Benoit, what is the status of this fork ? As I have write
>> > permission, I've merged with mainline once or twice, but the fork seems
>> > abandoned... was there a use case ? not anymore ?
>>
>> I haven't touched it in a long time. The original use case was small
>> matrices, where it is faster than householder. Now you mention large
>> matrices that are not fully known in advance: interesting.
>>
>> Finally, about the old debate about whether to store the list of
>> givens permutations, let me mention that in the different setting of
>> SVD, I have now decide to try this approach too. It's different as I'm
>> only storing N Givens rotations per sweep, as opposed to N^2/2 in
>> GivensQR, but perhaps still worth mentioning.
>
> Let's revive this thread a little bit :)
>
> I'm curious to have a general idea of the solution method you want to
> implement here (SVD based on Givens rotations, storing only N
> rotations/sweep).

There was a "little problem" with the above: Givens SVD actually
needed N^2 Givens rotations per sweep, not N.

So instead, I'm now looking at divide-and-conquer SVD.

This is the "modern" approach anyway. It's parallelizable, which
Givens SVD isn't.

In LAPACK terms, this is SGESDD, as opposed to SGESVD.

The big reason for me to look at divide-and-conquer SVD is that it
requires very little storage. Here we're starting from a bidiagonal
matrix. In order to reduce the problem of size N into two sub-problems
of size N/2, if I understand well, I need to store 2N scalars. So I
expect the whole thing to use O(N) storage. Of course, if one starts
from a general rectangular matrix, one has to bidiagonalize it first,
but that's done already in Eigen, see UpperBidiagonalization, using
householder transforms.

Divide-and-conquer is only applicable to narrow enough band matrices.
For example, it can't be used to compute the QR of a general matrix,
or the eigendecomposition of a Hessenberg matrix.

> Is there a paper that you could refer me to?

Yes, this one is very good:

www.cs.colorado.edu/~jessup/SUBPAGES/PS/sorensen.ps.gz

equivalently:

http://portal.acm.org/citation.cfm?id=181618

Thanks for the pointers, will check the paper out.

> One sweet
> thing of using Givens rotations (as opposed to say Householder reflections)
> is that their computation can be easily parallelized across multiple cores.

...depends on the order in which the Givens rotations are applied,
since parallelization is only possible for mutually commuting (AB=BA)
transformation --- otherwise you get different results depending on
which one is applied first.

For example, Givens SVD is not parallelizable at all.

Givens QR, yes, it's parallelizable.

> On a separate note, I'd like to ask if there would be interest in having a
> SVD implementation tailored for the case of using one decomposition instance
> to solve multiple "similar" problems. By similar I'm referring to solve
> initially for matrix A, and then for a perturbed  matrix A + deltaA, and so
> on. In such cases, results from previous computations can greatly increase
> performance. The KDL developers [1] brought to my attention a paper that
> details this solution strategy (also based on Givens rotations), which can
> be found here [2]. They have also a working implementation [3] that uses
> eigen matrices, but its internals are not "eigenized".

That sounds interesting for certain classes of problems. Though it can
only work if certain assumptions on the matrix A are made. At least,
it should sufficiently many distinct singular values. Otherwise, bad
phenomena can happen. For example, let A = Id be the identity matrix.
Then a SVD of A is just: A = Id x Id x Id. Now take a small
perturbation of A: it could have absolutely any singular vectors on
both sides --- just because A is close to Id doesn't imply anything on
its singular vectors. So the knowledge that A is close to Identity,
doesn't help at all.

I don't know if I followed you here. I'm going to paraphrase the main idea of the paper to make sure we're in the same page. The SVD referenced above uses Givens rotations to map A to an orthogonal matrix B like so,

AV = B

where V contains the sequence of Givens rotations. B can be then decomposed into B=UD, where U is an orthonormal matrix and D is a diagonal matrix containing the singular values, hence A =UDV'.
If we now solve for A_p = A + deltaA, we can use the previously calculated V as a starting point. The product A_p V will no longer be orthogonal, but close (there are bounds on how much it may stray), so we only need to update V to re-orthogonalize A_p V, which should be less work than starting from scratch (V==identity). Further, there is no need to store individual Givens rotations, only the compound accumulated in V.

Adolfo

But yes, that sounds interesting in principle, we'll see about that post-3.0.

> Finally, I wanted to ask the more general question of what SVD
> implementations will likely make it to 3.0.

I am currently writing the new divide-and-conquer SVD. I would like it
to replace the current SVD, but of course i'll only do that once it's
clear that it's at least at good.

I also want to keep JacobiSVD, as it is the only SVD avoiding
altogether householder bidiagonalization, which is not perfectly
numerically stable.

I know I have been talking about that forever, but now I'm really
doing it, and i'm starting at mozilla in 2 weeks anyway so it must be
done before.

Benoit