Re: [eigen] std::swap doesn't work on Map

Isn't the issue really that Eigen::Map isn't really a value?  Eigen::Map is more like a pointer, except it's used like a value, syntactically
I'm not sure this is actually a good idea, but an alternative would thus be to split Eigen::Map into a "pointer" and a "value" type so that you can swap the pointers as expected and prevent swapping on values by disabling the copy-constructor (you can't really copy-construct those anyhow - which leads to this problem).
Basically, Eigen::Map's copy constructor isn't really behaving like you'd expect a copy constructor to behave.  Which isn't a big issue, granted ;-).

--eamon@xxxxxxxxxxxx - Tel#:+31-6-15142163

On Mon, Apr 5, 2010 at 23:55, Benoit Jacob <jacob.benoit.1@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi Joel,

2010/4/5 joel falcou <joel.falcou@xxxxxx>:
> Benoit Jacob wrote:
>>
>> Normally we could consider fixing this by providing a partial template
>> specialization of std::swap for Eigen types, but the big problem is
>> that std::swap takes only 1 template parameter and expects both sides
>> to be of the same type, and this is not always the case with Eigen
>> swap on expressions. We could still catch the case where both sides
>> have the same type, but I'm not sure what to do then. If we let that
>> work, it's awkward that we require both sides to have the same type in
>> std::swap and not in .swap(). If we want to emit an error, it's hard
>> to do because of SFINAE (so generating an error there would simply
>> discard the specialization.). I have to read back the rules of SFINAE,
>> perhaps it will work to let our std::swap specialization call another
>> function from where we trigger an error...
>>
>> Benoit
>>

> Look how boost::swap works, there is a simple trick to have your own
> eigen::swap that behaves correctly
> without tricky SFINAE. Basically :
>
> namespace eigen {
> namespace details
> {
>  template<class T1,class T2>
>  void swap( T1& a, T2& b)
> {
>   using std::swap;
>   swap(a,b); }
> }
>
> template<class T1,class T2>
> void swap( T1& a, T2& b)
> {
>  details::swap(a,b);
> }
>
> }
>
> the main swap having *two* templates arguments make it more specialized than
> the ADL found swap for type T1 and T2.
> Then the using clause in the details::swap bring std::swap in the game if
> and only if the proper swap can't be found by ADL.
>
> Using this swap then behaves like that:
> if a swap exists in the namespace of T1, it is used.
> else std::swap is used silently.
>
> Now, just tell user to use eigen::swap.

We already have a swap() that works well in Eigen, depending on two
template parameters. It has a different calling syntax: it is a member
function. a.swap(b).

Here the problem is with users who expect std::swap to work on the Map
_expression_ (where it is really tricky), and discover that it doesn't.
If we decide that it's OK to tell them to use a different swap()
function, then Eigen's current solution is already good enough.

I was wondering if we could do something to prevent the bad surprise
with std::swap from happening in the first place. I'll try to get a
static assertion to work, with an informative error message.

Benoit