|Re: [eigen] southern hemisphere support in the Geometry module?|
[ Thread Index |
| More lists.tuxfamily.org/eigen Archives
- To: eigen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
- Subject: Re: [eigen] southern hemisphere support in the Geometry module?
- From: Manuel Yguel <manuel.yguel@xxxxxxxxx>
- Date: Thu, 1 Apr 2010 15:20:51 +0200
- Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=gamma; h=domainkey-signature:mime-version:received:in-reply-to:references :from:date:received:message-id:subject:to:content-type; bh=xdAljIJqgr8vmyT0OJ4t5+ZqErtWtVlFVu4h0DojcVQ=; b=i+95c+PlG/6B2bjUlix6y8nbPsp5BG9gtttaQpEL95XKT3mcbwkRW1m59vtSHA6f+L DXTjHBU2vcERHJAwn/cdNMWdxbwEPoP2umxuFoIeiyWM+d6KJUGzC3BgKsDdHVHG2dsC BoyaIWhAxbCIYiP8NUGuwhDETQxWRrjNDACMk=
- Domainkey-signature: a=rsa-sha1; c=nofws; d=gmail.com; s=gamma; h=mime-version:in-reply-to:references:from:date:message-id:subject:to :content-type; b=Svqalf+koXhThCEafoAxQ4AftUC80vHMIvkAHyB+RaQiJQb8Hye2Xh+BVogwK55ZiG wle8+WxNoEd22a4ZYI/2IPB6R9JfYhnMVm7ypicEHu8hZS6OUhDK8K4XB+GH7cJTP4fe VsmrlMFBd1BUYLhdaaw7z7q4vuUGbToEJSr9Q=
In the north hemisphere we tend to overlook the people of the south
one and it is very important that we correct that attitude.
In the same spirit we can propose a patch for the left-handed people.
I have remarked that they tend to prefer undirect reference frames.
We can detect it also at run time by looking at the way the left and
right button of the mouse are binded.
Eigen should definitely be south-hemisphere and left-handed friendly.
I strongly support that move.
On Thu, Apr 1, 2010 at 2:59 PM, Benoit Jacob <jacob.benoit.1@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> At the moment, our Geometry module makes the assumption that direct
> isometries have positive determinant, and indirect isometries have
> negative determinant. In the southern hemisphere it's the opposite ---
> this is the mathematical phenomenon behind the famous Coriolis effect
> which makes cyclones spin counter clockwise in the northern
> hemisphere, and clockwise in the southern hemisphere.
> I'm working on a patch at the moment but I'm not sure how to best
> implement hemisphere detection. It could be selected at compile-time,
> but that means that binaries can only work in one hemisphere. Or we
> could implement runtime hemisphere detection on platforms that support
> it (more and more devices have accelerometers that detect very well
> the coriolis effect) or just use an internet-based service for
> geolocation, but i'm not sure if it's reasonable to let Eigen depend
> on a HTTP library? We could make that an optional dependency though.