Re: [eigen] nesting

On Thu, Feb 4, 2010 at 11:11 PM, Benoit Jacob <jacob.benoit.1@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Just one thing that I don't follow:
>
> 2010/2/4 Gael Guennebaud <gael.guennebaud@xxxxxxxxx>:
>> Our real problem is the following:
>>
>> A*B + A1 + A2 + A3 + A4 + A5
>>
>> creates 5 temporary matrices, the result of A*B is copied 4 times....
>
> Why is it so? After A*B has evaluated into a temporary matrix, isn't
> it the same as
>
> tmp + A1 + A2 + A3 + A4 + A5
>
> ? That doesn't evaluate at every step ...!

this is the problem that Hauke is talking about: since we nest by
value, tmp is stored in the expression of tmp + A1, so sizeof(tmp+A1)
= big, so does (tmp+A1)+A2, etc. I did not check but I think that the
way it works.

on the other hand if you write:

(A*B).eval() + A1 + A2 + A3 + A4 + A5

then it is fine fine because the temporary is explicitly created on
the stack and stored by reference by the binary expressions...

gael