Re: [eigen] matrix::linspace

2010/1/26 Hauke Heibel <hauke.heibel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
> The initial commit is there, including documentation and new snippets.
> There is one issue left...
>
> VectorXd a = VectorXd::LinSpaced(low,high,size);
>
> does not necessarily result in
>
> a(0) = low
>
> nor in
>
> a(a.size()-1) = high
>
> I have no real idea how to fix this - I mean none that does not impact
> performance. The problem arises due to numerical instabilities. The
> sequential version accumulates values and thus 'size' times the
> floating point error inherent in adding values. The random access
> method suffers from the fact that for s = (high-low)/(size-1)
>
> high = (size-1)*s
>
> is not necessarily true.

Hm. "high = (size-1)*s" is true to machine precision which is good
enough. But I guess that what you mean is that

  s + s + s + ... + s    (size-1 times)

can be farther away from 'high'.

The only idea that I see is that every, say, 8 iterations, you
recompute the product with a multiplication (thus you get something
good to machine precision) and you forget about the 'accumulated'
value.

Benoit