Re: [eigen] Re: 4x4 matrix inverse

2010/1/19 Gael Guennebaud <gael.guennebaud@xxxxxxxxx>:
> B. Ober told us about a more recent version of Intel's SSE fast
> inversion code which can be found here:
>
> http://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/optimized-matrix-library-for-use-with-the-intel-pentiumr-4-processors-sse2-instructions/
>
> It takes advantage of SSE2 instructions, and there is also a version
> for double, and all of this with a clearer license.
>
> Both versions (floats and doubles) are already in the devel branch. If
> you wonder, here are some results for 10,000,000 inversions:
>
> float, no SSE : 1.72s
> float, SSE (previous version): 0.29s
> float, SSE2 (new version): 0.26s
>
> double, no SSE: 1.72
> double, SSE2: 0.45
>
> (core2 2.66GHz, gcc 4.4, linux 64bits)

Excellent!

I have a question. Here, the benefit is like 7x for float and 3.5x for
double. Is that thanks to the CPU doing add+mul in 1 cycle? I then
have a second question: is this ability
 - only for addps/mulps instructions ?
 - or also for addss / mulss instructions ?
 - or also with x87 code?

If it works with scalar instructions, is the no-SSE code slow just
because it is not written in low-level code carefully ordering
instructions?

Benoit