Re: [eigen] Re: 2.0.10 on November 25?

In data lunedì 23 novembre 2009 21:38:37, Rhys Ulerich ha scritto:
> I think it'd be better to leave it as lib/pkgconfig.  An informal survey
>  comparing 'ls -1 /usr/share/pkgconfig | wc -l' with the same on
>  /usr/lib/pkgconfig shows the latter winning by a factor of 6:1.
>
> Was the intent just to avoid touching lib in any way since eigen has no
>  installed .so?  Was there some other rationale?

Here i have 674 for /usr/lib/pkgconfig and 9 for /usr/share/pkgconfig so the
factor is even greater.

Ingmar told me about this change. Which makes sense : /usr/lib is for stuff
that depends on the architecture (binary), and /usr/share for independant
stuff. For example in my /usr/share/pkgconfig i currently have :

gnome-doc-utils.pc  gnome-icon-theme.pc  gnome-mime-data-2.0.pc  icon-naming-
utils.pc  iso-codes.pc  shared-mime-info.pc  taglib-sharp.pc  usbutils.pc
xtrans.pc
I can see that, for example, xtrans indeed only install arch-independant files.

Now, i did a quick search for documentation about pkg-config and could not find
any specification or indication. Source tarballs and homepage have nothing, the
'guide' link on http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pkg-config is broken.....

As a conclusion, i feel ok with the current setup, until someone finds any
more-or-less official indication or recommendation that /usr/share/pkgconfig
should not be used.

(of course, if there's any inconvenient in keeping our *.pc fie here, i would
like to know about it... any packager here?)

regards,
Thomas
--
Thomas Capricelli <orzel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>