Re: [eigen] inconsistent cwise() support

On Wed, Nov 18, 2009 at 3:25 PM, Benoit Jacob <jacob.benoit.1@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

2009/11/18 Benoit Jacob <jacob.benoit.1@xxxxxxxxx>:
> [...]
>>
>> + scalar <=> cwiseAdd(scalar)
>> - scalar <=> cwiseSub(scalar)
>> * mat <=> cwiseMul(mat)
>> < mat <=> cwiseLessThan(mat)   or cwiseLT
>> <= mat <=> cwiseLessEqual(mat)  or cwiseLE
>> < scalar <=> cwiseLessThan(scalar)  or cwiseLT
>> <= scalar <=> cwiseLessEqual(scalar)  or cwiseLE
>> // same for >, >=, ==, !=
>>
>> += scalar   <=>  cwiseAddInPlace(scalar)
>> -= scalar   <=>  cwiseSubInPlace(scalar)
>> *= mat   <=>  cwiseMulInPlace(scalar)
>>
>> And we could also imagine to support all kind of bitwise operations: |, &,
>> ~, ^, ! that we could name bitwiseXxx.
>>
>> Now, I also acknowledge this drawback is mitigated by the introduction of an
>> Array class, because then we can expect that the need to apply such
>> operators on matrices will be significantly reduced.
>>
>> Nevertheless, I think it is still important to be able to view matrix as
>> array, and vice versa. Two options:
>>
>> 1 - We introduce easy to use .array() and .matrix() methods, and then we'll
>> have both my proposal and your proposal, so again an infinite ways to do the
>> same thing that is not very nice IMO.
>>
>> 2 - We assume such a conversion is worth it only if you use the
>> view-as-array object multiple times, and so we enforce to use named wrapper
>> objects, e.g.:
>> MatrixXf m = ...;
>> ArrayWrapper<MatrixXf> a(m);
>> // take care that "a" and "m" reference the same data.
>> a += 2;
>>

>> Finally, there is another issue that I forgot to mention in my previous
>> email and that go in favor of your proposal. All those cwise
>> operators/functions are not only useful for dense objects but also for
>> sparse matrices and certainly all other special storage objects (especially
>> abs(), abs2(), etc.). Since we want to preserve a consistent API as well as
>> to reduce code duplication, this means that with my proposal the Array class
>> should be able to potentially wrap any kind of matrices.... No need to say
>> that significantly complicate the implementation of the Array class (e.g.,
>> some will support only unary ops, some require to extend Array with other
>> overloads, etc.). The implementation of your proposal is far much simpler
>> because 1) Array would be reserved to dense storage, and 2) the cwise*
>> functions won't be hidden into wrapper classes. (sorry if these last
>> sentences does not make much sense to you, but believe me it's much simpler
>> ;) )
>
> Yes, it's much better. I am 100% for letting Array be plainly for dense storage.
>

>> So after all, I'm going to like your proposal, and will wait for other
>> opinions.
>>
>> As a side note, if we go for your proposal, we can also think about
>> implementing in MatrixBase only a subset of the cwise ops available in
>> Array.
>
> Yes that's what I was going to reply: I like Jitse's proposal too but
> we really don't have to provide .cwiseEverything(), only the most

Also I wonder. If matrix.cwiseAbs() is a synonym for
matrix.array().abs(), perhaps we should call that matrix.arrayAbs()?

In other words,  s/cwise/array/g ? To have only 1 terminology everywhere.

Well, the first question is whether we still want a .array() method or not?