Re: [eigen] Assignment to MatrixBase fails assertion or SEGVs

Thanks for the report and test-case, that was interesting.

First of all, how to make it work with current Eigen: just replace the line
   noinit = mat;
by
   noinit.derived() = mat;

Now the reason why your code fails is the following. As you notice,

> In general, eigen sets the lhs to the size of the rhs.

However, in Eigen, only a Matrix can be resized, the class MatrixBase
doesnt have a resize() method (in the devel branch it has one but it
still doesn't actually allow to resize).

In order to fix that, we would need to make it so that
MatrixBase<Derived>::resize() calls Matrix::resize() when the Derived
type is Matrix.

We can do that with a template helper. I'm asking for opinions here.
Should we do that, in order to support Robert's code? If not, then we
still must make sure that at least we fail on an assert, not a
segfault!

Benoit