Re: [eigen] still the solve() API debate

First of all I don't like the use of pointers here, because it is not
a standard c++ practice, and therefore users we'll start wondering: "
why do they use a pointer here ? maybe because this parameter is
optional ? hm does not make sense... unless if x==0, then the
computation is performed in place overwritten b ? or the solve
function creates the matrix object and then I have to delete it myself
? etc. ". OK, maybe I'm exaggerating a bit, but that's the idea.

ok, now let's summarize, ideally we want an API which satisfies the
following constraints:

a - concise (not too verbose)
b - readable
c - simple behavior
d - it should return the result so that we can directly use it in an expression
e - does not create unnecessary temporary
f - directly works with temporary proxy object
g - compliant with standard c++ practices

since I changed my mind about ReturnByValue inheriting MatrixBase, I
think opt 3 is the one which best satisfies all these constraints.

However, I (we) forgot to include in the discussion the API of the
in-place solve functions which should be as close as possible to the
generic solve().  Currently this only apply to the triangular solver,
LLT and LDLT, but I think this could also apply to PartialLU. Here the
problem is a bit different because the result is also and input and so
only option 1 and 4 could work:

opt 1: A.solveInPlace(&b_and_x);

opt 4: A.solveInPlace(b_and_x.ref());

Since opt 1 does not satisfy the constraint f and that this constraint
is particularly important for the in-place triangular solver, it
currently remains the opt 4 only.

In order to satisfy the constraint d, the solveInPlace functions could
return a reference to the inout argument. So at that point one could
do either:

Z = 2 * M * A.solveInPlace(b.ref());    // no temporary, and b is overwritten

Z = 2 * M * A.solve(b);    // one temporary but b is preserved

So yes you got me right, I'm suggesting to rely on both the
ReturnByValue<> and Reference<> mechanisms ! and since they have not
been extensively tested yet I cannot promise that we won't discover
any issue with them (especially the Reference<> one).

Also, note that a variant of opt 4, is to replace .ref() by the (more
explicit ?) pair .out() and .inout(), in which case the "InPlace"
suffix may be removed, e.g.:

Z = 2 * M * A.solve(b.inout())

but note that how subtle the difference is with:

Z = 2 * M * A.solve(b);

so maybe it is better to stuck with .ref() and the InPlace suffix.

gael.