[eigen] (General question) Floating point: why are 'inf' and 'nan' slow?

Sorry for adding to the currently already high traffic here.

Here, on linux / x86, my programs run 100x slower when the
floating-point values are 'inf' or 'nan'.

Only scalar code is affected, SSE code is not affected.

I haven't enabled floating-point exception signals. I don't have a FP
signal handler. Just any basic c++ program.

Can this be "fixed"? How?

Otherwise, I really need to make sure that solve() methods avoid
producing such special values when no solution exists --- otherwise
they take much longer to return.

Thanks for your help,