Re: [eigen] FFT for Eigen

Hi Mark,

First of all, FFT is an area where I'm very incompetent so I'm hoping
that others will correct me if I'm saying something wrong.

For Eigen we wanted a FFT module that
1) has a generalistic API that covers many use cases
-->KISSFFT seems to have that since it allows dynamic non-power-of-2
size while having small fixed-size specializations, allows
real/complex, etc.
2) provides a reasonably small implementation that still has reasonable speed
--> I checked, KISSFFT has less than 500 lines of C
3) allows to use the most efficient libraries as optional backends.
It's OK if certain backends have stricter requirements than the
general API -- e.g. if a certain backend is power-of-two-only.
--> that's what you seem to be offering at the end of your email:
> Also, my hope is to have #ifdef protected code that would use the kissfft
> library by default, but could also use FFTW or IMKL if it was so compiled
> (since they are much faster).
I'd suggest having a look at how Gael is doing the selectable-backend
thing in the Sparse module, for the solvers.

So I'd say go ahead, this is very interesting. In the special case of
small power-of-2 sizes, it'd be great if you could compare the speed
with Tim's code.

Organization-wise: the next step is that you get yourself an account
at bitbucket.org, fork eigen/eigen2, go in the unsupported/ directory
and create your FFT module there. Once you have something, tell us to
have a look at your fork and we can then merge it.

Code-wise: your code is as hardcore C as it gets. Some of that needs
to be c++-ified and eigen-ified, some of that can stay that way. What
absolutely must be eigen-ified is the macros you use to handle
different numeric types: in Eigen we already have infrastructure for
that, see NumTraits.h and MathFunctions.h in Eigen/src/Core/, so
normally your FFT shouldn't bother at all anymore about fixed-point
etc, but now if you find that our infrastructure is missing something
that you need, then tell us and we can add it.